If you have ever dreamed about moving up to AVID or AVID Liquid professional editing, then learn about the new Video Edit Systems/Delta series advanced PC workstation that takes the guesswork out of buying an editing system.
School Video News had an opportunity to look at this amazing software/hardware combination and honestly? We were blown away!
Video Edit System ships the Delta complete: all System and Editing software installed & configured. All peripherals such as dual 22-inch widescreen monitors, professional speakers, custom keyboard, and mouse are included.
VES designed these from the chassis up to do just one thing in life... optimize the power of AVID or AVID Liquid software.
Their engineers are not just computer guys, they understand the lifestyle of video editing, and have created the ultimate system: fast, powerful, reliable, broadcast quality, and user friendly. They build them to be as “bullet-proof” as possible for the real world, with advanced features to help you survive “Murphy’s Law”. Featuring what they call their revolutionary “RED DISK” recovery kit that returns your system drive to its “perfect” state with all software fully installed, configured, and authorized... without loss of editing data.
You can start off with a single workstation, and then add more systems as your workflow and business expands. Lease (to own) a complete editing solution for around $300-ish per month.
VES feels that purchasing an editing system should be like purchasing a car... you don’t go around investigating the specs and part numbers of every cable, spark plug, and sub-assembly. Instead, you shop for an appealing, well-built vehicle that has a good reputation for performance and overall reliability. You assume that the engineers who designed the vehicle have done their job and put together the right combination of parts to make the vehicle worthy of its exceptional reputation! Well, the same should hold true for an editing solution! An end-user should not have to figure out what combination of central processor, chipset, and graphics cards work best with AVID; nor what are the best hard drives to use; nor what monitors work best with the graphics board, etc. At VideoEditSystems.com, their team of engineers have done all the research & testing, and solved the problems for you. It’s a completely integrated and certified solution.
The CPU of the VES/Delta 1000 has an Intel Core2 Duo 2.40 GHz Processor at its heart. Lightning fast; but bear in mind that in video editing, the CPU is only a small part of the total equation; the GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) does most of the work.
• Advanced Nvidia Quadro graphics card. The impressively tweaked graphics unit is BASED around a very advanced (upper three thousand series), which is SLI capable of working in tandem with a second such card, in order to handle the most demanding HD applications. A lot of research went into combining the most cost effective high-end graphics card with a complimentary Nvidia Intel Chipset which is essential to provide SLI Capability and get the very best from the Graphics Card. The VES engineering group worked closely with Nvidia on this and incidentally Nvidia is the only Graphics Card Certified to work with the latest versions of Media Composer by AVID. System memory is a full two gig. They don’t use “shared memory”, but use discreet memory for the GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) and the System. System memory is dynamically assignable by the chipset. Windows XP will only use up to 1 gig. The balance is available for applications; and we have found that adding an extra 2 gig only provided negligible benefit for AVID Liquid Pro, yet would add steeply to the price.
• Beefy 850 watt modular SLI power supply. The new Graphics Cards take a lot of power so it is essential to have a High Performance Certified Power Supply. Modular, so you can replace it yourself if necessary (with a little Tech Support coaching, of course).
• Multiple Hard Drives. Standard complement of drives is four of the latest design, quick removable SATA hard drives that slide in or out as easy as a camera battery. Having four drives allows you to store all of your data separate from the system applications and maintain backup files. Provides 1.5TB of capacity (250, 250, 500+500). The bay includes LED readout of temperature and voltage. The two 500 gig drives are configured as a striped array to function as a single Media storage drive of 1 TB.
• Multi-card Reader for importing data from most popular memory cards. 3.5 inch Floppy drive. Professional grade DVD +/— R/RW, CD-R/RW dual layer burner. (VES informs us that Panasonic P2 and Sony XDCAM/SxS reader compatibility is coming soon.)
• The system ships complete and includes two 22-inch TFT-LCD digital/analog wide screen video display monitors. Comes with special software for digitally balancing the viewing images between the two monitors. One pair of fully balanced and shielded, high performance, Close Field, Edirol audio Monitor Speakers. Your choice of a custom button-coded keyboard for AVID or Liquid.
• Optional RAID-5 internal drive array will provide 1.5 TB of PROTECTED media storage. At any given time, any three of four RAID drives contain 100% of your data. Your edit screen will alert you to the drive failure. Simply replace the bad drive with a replacement, and the data will restore itself. The RAID is provided as a kit which is user retrofitable, (most of the hardware comes pre-installed in the Delta) or it can be ordered at the time of initial purchase and installed by VES. The RAID kit includes not just four, but five drives. The 5th drive stores in the array, but is not wired in, and serves as a “spare tire” so that you do not have to wait for express delivery! The RAID is designed for ease of maintenance so that the wiring harness is readily accessible from the main side panel.
Note that VES ships the four main hard drives and the RAID drives separately from the main tower, in their own re-usable custom travel cases. Removing the drives prior to shipping or transit not only lessens the overall weight of the tower, but more importantly protects your crucially valuable drives and the data they hold.
Without a doubt, the most exciting innovation on the VES/Delta 1000 series of professional workstations is VES’s unique “Recovery Emergency Disk” (aka the RED disk) for restoring all of your system and editing applications in the event of file corruption or failure on drive C. Gets you up and running in minutes, without having to re-configure or re-authorize your stuff. No need to call Tech Support.
93% of computer issues (excluding the people factor) can be traced to problems developing on the System Drive (“C”). Now whether these slowdowns or errors are caused by human or mechanical glitch; from a downloaded virus; or just accidental over-writing or deletion of key files & settings... who cares! Stuff happens, no matter how careful we are all. The important thing to an Editor is to get the system up and running again as quickly as possible, and without any loss of editing data. As long as you follow the practice of storing (and backing up) your documents, project data, and media files onto their appropriate drives, it is a simple matter of wiping a bad Drive C completely clean and restoring it (or completely replacing it) to the original factory installation (which VES custom creates for every client & workstation).
More features of the VES/Delta 1000...
• Rear e-SATA II connections. Sata II is 6 times faster than firewire IEE-1394 and provides a fast, reliable way of off-loading an entire project’s MEDIA and PROJECT (Timeline, Titles, etc.) for archiving or transit. Also allows the RAID equipped units to access the two front (media) drives.
• Use their Optional External Hard Drive Enclosure with e-SATA connections as well as USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 1.1) to tranfer data from one computer system to another. The enclosure utilizes the same, quick-removable SATA drives as the rest of the system.
• Dual ethernet systems. Provides for a “Local Edit Net” where multiple Edit Suites can communicate, swap files, etc. as well as a separate connection for the Internet or corporate Intranet. 10/100 for standard ethernet communication as well as high speed GigE capability.
• Wireless Internet station and access point capability. You can connect to an existing WiFi signal, or you broadcast your own WiFi so that other computers (like your Producer’s laptop) can link to you.
• Convenient case features: spacious, high tech appearance. Extra roomy inside for ease of user maintenance and better ventilation. Side panel has key lock security.
• Remove the plastic plugs in the bottom of the tower chassis to take advantage of drop-down bolts, which provide a clever solution for securing the workstation to a shelf or desktop, protecting your investment against earthquake or theft.
• Front connection panel swivels 90 degrees (front to side). Hook-ups for USB, firewire, and audio. Just another small touch to make things more convenient for the editor.
Optional Accessories that are recommended include the Edirol UA-25 audio interface for recording live audio such as ADR, narration, and sound effects directly into Liquid. XLR input with Phantom power. The FaderMaster interface plugs in to allow tactile control of multiple soundtracks (with automatic Key Framing in Liquid) during editing/sound mixing.
More about the VES/Delta 1000...
Multi-system solutions: The VES/Delta is not limited to life as a single workstation. Modern editing often requires collaborative efforts, which are the hallmark of AVID and Liquid editing applications. Our system easily accommodates an expanded workflow. For example, adding a basic workstation for logging/capture or Producers Review. Perhaps a workstation for Audio Sweetening, or an ultra-powerful system for Graphics/HD-Rendering.
The next step in the Workflow evolution would be the linking of your workstations to a centralized media storage and project server. It involves storing all of your media files and project data in a data protected central hub that allows multiple workstations to feed seamlessly. The media and project data are protected by redundancy against the unpredicted drive failure.
The workstations see the hub much as they might recognize another drive in their system.... the flow of data is immediate and unconstrained. Much more akin to having an extra internal drive, a special data controller acts as a “traffic cop”. Although any workstation can view any project (read only), only one workstation would have read/write permission at a time. This prevents two editors from accidentally overwriting each other’s work on the same timeline at the same time!
Should a workstation develop hardware issues, the Editor need only move to a different edit bay to continue working.
A facility could also design Edit Bays of different levels of utility. For instance, smaller rooms would accommodate the individual Editor while a larger, more posh environment would be available for “client” interaction. Even a Screening Room could be equipped to project work in progress.
The best thing is that you do not have to make final decisions before you are ready. The editing workstations are editing solutions, and will adapt as your operation grows.
Video Edit Systems can also offer financing: Individuals and small operations are encouraged to lease, rather than buy, in order to preserve their working capital and take advantage of tax incentives. For example, a ten-thousand dollar system, for 36 months lease-to-own (no residual buy-out) works out in the range of $300-ish per month. VES works with a number of leasing companies that can provide flexible terms for small companies, or special contracts for municipal, state, or federal institutions.
Software Compatibility: The VES/Delta works with AVID Express, Media Composer, and Liquid. One of the nice things about the units is that you can maintain Media Composer and Liquid on the same machine. Editors (and those teaching editing) can work with whichever application is appropriate for the situation.
For more information about the VES/Delta Series of workstations, please visit VES’ website at www.VideoEditSystems.com.